Security insights to help you make an informed choice
HOLIDAY FESTIVITIES WITH PEACE OF MIND
Before you spend your time and money on December festivities remember to plan for a safe and secure holiday season.
While the festive season brings joy and excitement, it unfortunately also sees a rise in criminal activities and busier casualty wards in our hospitals. But you and your family can experience a lot more joy and much less of the drama by simply preparing and being cautious. Here are our most effective tips for holiday safety and security:
3 to 4 weeks before going away:
• Test your security system (alarms, electric fence, gate motor back up battery, panic buttons etc)
• Ensure that your security company receives every signal and test signals at least 5 minutes apart.
• Top up your airtime on your security system’s SMS modules
• Check alarm backup batteries and replace if necessary
• Repair electric fence strands – ensure there are no branches and trees within ½ meter from any wire
• Ensure that your CCTV system is working and that the hard drive is working sufficiently
• Ensure that your access control is fully operational – with emergency over rides tested.
• Your gate keypad or access codes need to be changed at this point as every response officer who ever entered your premises has still got that code. Change your code now!
• Repair and check all motion lights, change globes where needed and test timers on lights.
• Replace all the padlocks that you were intending to do.
• Repair all leaks from all pipes that may be dripping.
1 week before going away:
• Cut back the foliage on your electric fence
• Alert your security company and / or community patrol that you’re going away
• Ask your neighbour to collect your mail and be aware of any suspicious activity
• Turn the ringer off on your landline so that no one can hear it going unanswered
• Turn off your intercom’s bell so that anyone ringing it will feel unsure about whether you’re home or not
• Don’t advertise to the world that you’re going away, especially on social media
• Have your car checked before leaving on a long road trip
While on holiday:
• Check in with your security company at least twice a week to make sure all is well on the home front – this also serves to remind your security company that you’re expecting good service from them
• Relax while you’re on holiday but do continue to be cautious as criminals target holiday makers who have their guard down
• Wear sunblock when outdoors and make sure you have water with you at all times
• Don’t drink and drive
• Observe the rules of the road – most accidents tend to occur during the holiday season
Adhere to these simple tips and you’ll enjoy greater peace of mind when you’re on vacation with your family. After all, the holiday season should be a time of relaxation and bonding with the people you love at your favourite getaway. Make it a magic memory rather than a catastrophic one.
At 6th Sense Security, we can come to your home and work premises to do a full check on your security system. We can also upgrade and repair to give your system proper functionality. Find out more about 6th Sense Security by visiting www.6thsensesecurity.co.za or call 011 482 9957 because we care about your safety, security and peace-of-mind.